Tuesday, June 21, 2011

VINCENZO CAROZZA

by Carla E Carozza (daughter)
 
My father was born in Palena, Italy on September 8, 1927. Palena is a small town located in the Provence of Chieti in the Abruzzo region of Italy. Palena is a very picturesque mountain town located 2,300 above sea level where archeological remains date back 40,000 years. Palena is located in the Maielle mountain range, a string of dome-shaped masses which are part of the austere Appenine mountains. The Abruzzo of today is still mostly unspoiled and authentic.
 
With that said, we grew up hearing a lot of stories from my Dad about Palena and we never stopped hearing them and now how I miss those stories as only he could tell them. You know, he had to walk at least 5 miles into town to attend school in a 12th century castle. He was the eldest of 9 children (3 prior to him deceased), 
he grew up with little and had to work hard along with his brothers and sisters to help his family and put food on the table.  How I enjoy just sitting alone and remembering all the stories he shared, although I have never been to Palena I could honestly go there and find my way around he was that detailed with his stories.
 
The war came and life changed, a lot of sadness and much suffering it affected all of them. He found his way to Venezuela and was a painter, he spent 7 1/2 years there. He came to the US thru Miami to NY in August of 1957, 7 months later my Mom and he were married (both my parents families are from Palena).  My parents were married 45 years - 11 days. :(


Vince & Mary Carozza
My Dad loved to travel, to cook great food (a self taught Chef), to be surrounded by his family and he loved life. He spent his last 10 years working at the Phoenician Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona a job he truly loved going to every day. He shared stories with his co-workers (a lot of the stories we heard growing up) and he was just someone you enjoyed being around, his personality was very infectious.
 
Vincenzo told the most simplest but funniest jokes ever, still my cousins will go around telling his jokes and we still crack up, one of my favorite.....this young girl was walking down the street and she had a mini skirt on and a Indian was walking behind her and he kept saying, chance? chance? chance? and she finally turned around and said why are you saying Chance?, Indians say HOW and he replied me know HOW give me Chance......hahahahhahahahaha it still cracks me up. 
 
On today Father's Day I dedicate this story to you Dad, thanks for the memories and for all the stories and of course the jokes. You are so missed!
 
Ciao.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...