Friday, November 11, 2011

Poppies

I remember when I was a kid, and we would drive into town, there would be volunteers from the Lion's Club at the main intersection. When you'd stop at the stop sign and donated some change, the Lions volunteer would give you a hard candy or a poppy to hang on your rearview mirror. My mom would somehow work it into her outfit or if we were on our way to church, and my dad was wearing a suit, he'd place it in his buttonhole.

Today on my way into the grocery store where I work, I noticed there was a table set up for the purposes of collecting donations for Veterans. I thanked the gentleman manning the station and dropped some bills into the collection jar for Veteran's Day.  The donations go to help the homeless and disabled Vets.  And, if you ask me, it's a shame that we even need to have such a donation. The country which they served should be better prepared to take care of our Veterans. But after what these fellow Americans have done to help provide me with a safe, strong country in which to live, I'm happy to help.

And proud to wear my Poppy.



Thank you, Veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...